A wise man designs twice and prints once
August 5, 2013
Posted by on
Quadcopter Motor Mount v1.2
Late this weekend I completed the cleanup of the quadcopter motor mount. The focus was to cleaning up the edges, raising the motor above the plane of the boom and overall lighten the mount. On all accounts version 1.2 is an outstanding success. And if I was truly the wise man I would have simply skipped the functional test print and go direct to v1.2.
My my that is a fine looking mount
Along with cleaning up the design I also rotated the position in which I printed the part. In this iteration the mount was printed standing upright as shown above. This change made for a near perfect print. Not spaghetti mess in the boom opening, nice neat bolt holes, and it even printing a bit quicker (a full 4 minutes). The very top arch was a bit sloppy and if I expand this design to fit larger sized motors I’ll have to make some adjustments. The slimmed down version of the mount is still super strong and rotating the print grain really increases the strength along the axis of stress.
print grain makes all the difference!
In the version 1.0 print the grain ran along the boom and even with the additional wall thickness it still cracked.
If you are interested here is the thingiverse listing for the part files they are located here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:128477
New version of the BackyardRC Quadcopter is under development!
And here is another little sneak peek into the fully redesigned BackyardRC Quad CAD work. Stay tuned because it is no longer just a CAD drawing! I’ve been printing like crazy. I’ve also started the building, joining the mount and legs! More on this to come soon!!!
Other quadcopter posts:
3d Printing with Austin
Follow the CD Flyer build process from the beginning: